Finding maps to use

May 14, 2013 | By Jim Stovall | Filed in: journalism.

If you are working for a publication – high school or college – you should not use maps created by MapQuest or some other professional service without specific permission from that service. To do so is a violation of copyright laws.

Maps that are free from those restrictions are available from other sources, however. For national and state maps, try the U.S. Census Bureau. For local maps, look on the web sites of city and county governments.

University libraries and geography departments often create maps of the areas they serve, and those can often be used without permission. Before using any map, check to make sure there are no restrictions on its use.

Get a FREE copy of Kill the Quarterback

Get a free digital copy of Jim Stovall's mystery novel, Kill the Quarterback. You will also get Jim's newsletter and advanced notice of publications, free downloads and a variety of information about what he is working on. Jim likes to stay in touch, so sign up today.

Powered by ConvertKit

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *