That is the basic finding of a new study conducted by the Project for Excellence in Journalism and funded by the Pew Charitable Trusts. The basic finding is probably not surprising, but what is impressive and important is how widespread and consistent is the tendency of journalists to use men rather than women as sources […]
Cathryn Brown (Rep.) was elected by the constituents of New Mexico to represent their interests. But I wonder if those voters knew an abortion bill that denies abortion to the victims of rape was part of her agenda.
The number of women elected to Senate seats has risen drastically since 1993, from 7 to 20 starting with the new 113th Senate. Implications?
Postcards are few and far between these days, but the message on this postcard from the 1900’s speaks a sentiment that echoes throughout history and remains relevant today. Let us carry these words on to future generations!
The photo, one of three taken at about the same moment, shows Jane Burleson, the grand marshal of the Washington suffrage parade, standing with five other marshals sometime before the parade began at 3 p.m. on March 3, 1913. Burleson is standing third from the right along with parade marshals (left to right according to […]
It took no small amount of courage for a woman to join in a suffrage parade in the early years of the 20th century. Not only was the cause unpopular, seeing women do this extraordinary thing was shocking.
Now FREE on Amazon
The first of five volumes in the Civil War Combat Artist series, Battlelines: The Road to Gettysburg is now available on Amazon as a free download.
And now you can download the second volume, Battlelines: Gettysburg, Day 1, free at BookFunnel.
Point Spread on Amazon
Kill the Quarterback on Amazon
Recently on JPROF.com
- Anne Bradstreet, Puritan wife and mother and America’s first published poet November 22, 2017
- More about true crime podcasts; Fowler’s English classic; and giveaways galore November 20, 2017
- Jeannie Rousseau, a diminutive spy and an extraordinary tale of courage November 17, 2017
- True crime podcasts; Amazon gift card giveaway ($200) November 14, 2017
- Another reader on free expression; Anger as temporary madness November 9, 2017
- More from the Devil’s Dictionary; Where do a fiction writer’s ideas come from? October 30, 2017
- Where ideas come from: One author’s journey October 25, 2017
- Writing and dying, in public view; The Devil’s Dictionary October 23, 2017
- Ulysses Grant: Writing and dying – in public view October 19, 2017
- Two very different books; some free expression discussion; and a new giveaway October 16, 2017
- Book of Judith sets forth the story of a strong female character of Biblical times October 12, 2017
- Free expression – What do you think? And something from the local library October 9, 2017
- This week’s Remarkable Woman: Lillian Ross; a new author and a watercolor October 2, 2017
- Lillian Ross, reporter and precursor of the 1960s New Journalism movement September 28, 2017
- Best book of the summer? Readers respond September 21, 2017
Welcome to JPROF
Since 2004 JPROF.com has been providing journalism instructors and students with material and ideas for teaching and learning journalism. Jim Stovall is the site's creator and operator.
JPROF.com is now the site for First Inning Press and First Inning Artworks.
This site has more than 500 pages and posts. Use the search above and the categories and tags below to find what you need.
The site for the textbook, Writing for the Mass Media, is now part of this JPROF.com site.
Get a FREE copy of Kill the Quarterback
Get a free digital copy of Jim Stovall's mystery novel, Kill the Quarterback. You will also get Jim's newsletter and advanced notice of publications, free downloads and a variety of information about what he is working on. Jim likes to stay in touch, so sign up today.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your address.