A former student of mine, Hannah Margaret Allen, is a founding editor at a new website called Inverse. The site is aimed at people who are seriously into looking at the present and the future. Here’s what she says about it: “Men’s publications have historically leaned on the idea that manhood is an achievable goal, […]
Permanence is one of the five most important characteristics of the web (the other four being capacity, immediacy, flexibility, and interactivity), as explained in chapter 1 of Web Journalism. Until now. it has not been the subject of much discussion. But a high-level conference on blogging and journalism at Harvard University last week has spurred […]
A couple of stories from Romenesko’s blog on today show that big time news organizations are discovering the immediacy of the web.
News organizations see the day — very soon — when the web will be the centerpiece of what they do. Not print or over-the-air broadcasting. The good news is that the web is a relatively low-cost way of distributing information compared to printing presses and delivery trucks. The bad news is that the overall economics […]
Now FREE on Amazon
The first of five volumes in the Civil War Combat Artist series, Battlelines: The Road to Gettysburg is now available on Amazon as a free download.
And now you can download the second volume, Battlelines: Gettysburg, Day 1, free at BookFunnel.
Point Spread on Amazon
Kill the Quarterback on Amazon
Recently on JPROF.com
- Reviews, they always help; Battlelines: the complete Gettysburg July 17, 2017
- The week’s best giveaways; Battlelines, 5 volumes, now available July 10, 2017
- Favorite author? Readers respond; More great FREE giveaways July 3, 2017
- Favorite mystery author? Giveaways up and running June 26, 2017
- Digital Reader blogger tries to get at the real facts about ebook sales May 25, 2017
- Revelations by scholastic journalists come by just ‘looking it up’ May 15, 2017
- E.B. White on a writer’s responsibility May 10, 2017
- Literary journalism, explained May 9, 2017
- A journalist writing a novel May 6, 2017
- 50 years ago, Harrison Salisbury did not win the Pulitzer Prize April 11, 2017
- The First Amendment today | JPROF.com April 11, 2017
- Rules for using commas April 11, 2017
- At the corner of Banjo and Watercolor November 19, 2016
- Watercolors for the beekeepers November 10, 2016
- Second cedar chest of the season October 10, 2016
Sign-up for Jim's newsletter
Jim Stovall has a newsletter he uses to get in touch with those who like what he writes. Subscribers get advanced notice of publications, free downloads and a variety of information about what he is working on. He would love to have you on the list, so sign up today.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
Welcome to JPROF
Since 2004 JPROF.com has been providing journalism instructors and students with material and ideas for teaching and learning journalism. Jim Stovall is the site's creator and operator.
JPROF.com is now the site for First Inning Press and First Inning Artworks.
This site has more than 500 pages and posts. Use the search above and the categories and tags below to find what you need.
The site for the textbook, Writing for the Mass Media, is now part of this JPROF.com site.