A former student of mine, Hannah Margaret Allen, is a founding editor at a new website called Inverse. The site is aimed at people who are seriously into looking at the present and the future. Here’s what she says about it: “Men’s publications have historically leaned on the idea that manhood is an achievable goal, […]
Permanence is one of the five most important characteristics of the web (the other four being capacity, immediacy, flexibility, and interactivity), as explained in chapter 1 of Web Journalism. Until now. it has not been the subject of much discussion. But a high-level conference on blogging and journalism at Harvard University last week has spurred […]
A couple of stories from Romenesko’s blog on today show that big time news organizations are discovering the immediacy of the web.
News organizations see the day — very soon — when the web will be the centerpiece of what they do. Not print or over-the-air broadcasting. The good news is that the web is a relatively low-cost way of distributing information compared to printing presses and delivery trucks. The bad news is that the overall economics […]
Now FREE on Amazon
The first of five volumes in the Civil War Combat Artist series, Battlelines: The Road to Gettysburg is now available on Amazon as a free download.
And now you can download the second volume, Battlelines: Gettysburg, Day 1, free at BookFunnel.
Point Spread on Amazon
Kill the Quarterback on Amazon
Recently on JPROF.com
- Best book of the summer? Readers respond September 21, 2017
- Readers respond with their best reads of the summer; A superb collection of mystery/thrillers for 99 cents September 18, 2017
- Margaret Fuller packed more than a lifetime into her 40 short years September 12, 2017
- Best book of the summer? and a chance to win a Kindle Fire September 11, 2017
- September 8 is International Literacy Day September 10, 2017
- J. K. Rowling on freedom of expression September 7, 2017
- Forwarding contest winners for August; more free books and giveaways September 4, 2017
- Photos of Hurricane Harvey’s devastation from FEMA’s photojournalists September 3, 2017
- August was a good month for reviews of Kill the Quarterback September 2, 2017
- September sale begins now; Max and Woody are back August 28, 2017
- Bat Masterson, gunslinger first but then first-class sports writer August 27, 2017
- A riveting one-hour read (free); Max and Woody are back August 21, 2017
- Smithsonian Institution’s name and unusual founding August 17, 2017
- Treatment for eclipse fever; a free cozy; and don’t forget to forward this email August 14, 2017
- The Newspaperman: A poem from the 1880s August 8, 2017
Welcome to JPROF
Since 2004 JPROF.com has been providing journalism instructors and students with material and ideas for teaching and learning journalism. Jim Stovall is the site's creator and operator.
JPROF.com is now the site for First Inning Press and First Inning Artworks.
This site has more than 500 pages and posts. Use the search above and the categories and tags below to find what you need.
The site for the textbook, Writing for the Mass Media, is now part of this JPROF.com site.
Get a FREE copy of Kill the Quarterback
Get a free digital copy of Jim Stovall's mystery novel, Kill the Quarterback. You will also get Jim's newsletter and advanced notice of publications, free downloads and a variety of information about what he is working on. Jim likes to stay in touch, so sign up today.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your address.