A former student of mine, Hannah Margaret Allen, is a founding editor at a new website called Inverse. The site is aimed at people who are seriously into looking at the present and the future. Here’s what she says about it: “Men’s publications have historically leaned on the idea that manhood is an achievable goal, […]
Permanence is one of the five most important characteristics of the web (the other four being capacity, immediacy, flexibility, and interactivity), as explained in chapter 1 of Web Journalism. Until now. it has not been the subject of much discussion. But a high-level conference on blogging and journalism at Harvard University last week has spurred […]
A couple of stories from Romenesko’s blog on today show that big time news organizations are discovering the immediacy of the web.
News organizations see the day — very soon — when the web will be the centerpiece of what they do. Not print or over-the-air broadcasting. The good news is that the web is a relatively low-cost way of distributing information compared to printing presses and delivery trucks. The bad news is that the overall economics […]
Now FREE on Amazon
The first of five volumes in the Civil War Combat Artist series, Battlelines: The Road to Gettysburg is now available on Amazon as a free download.
And now you can download the second volume, Battlelines: Gettysburg, Day 1, free at BookFunnel.
Point Spread on Amazon
Kill the Quarterback on Amazon
Recently on JPROF.com
- Anne Bradstreet, Puritan wife and mother and America’s first published poet November 22, 2017
- More about true crime podcasts; Fowler’s English classic; and giveaways galore November 20, 2017
- Jeannie Rousseau, a diminutive spy and an extraordinary tale of courage November 17, 2017
- True crime podcasts; Amazon gift card giveaway ($200) November 14, 2017
- Another reader on free expression; Anger as temporary madness November 9, 2017
- More from the Devil’s Dictionary; Where do a fiction writer’s ideas come from? October 30, 2017
- Where ideas come from: One author’s journey October 25, 2017
- Writing and dying, in public view; The Devil’s Dictionary October 23, 2017
- Ulysses Grant: Writing and dying – in public view October 19, 2017
- Two very different books; some free expression discussion; and a new giveaway October 16, 2017
- Book of Judith sets forth the story of a strong female character of Biblical times October 12, 2017
- Free expression – What do you think? And something from the local library October 9, 2017
- This week’s Remarkable Woman: Lillian Ross; a new author and a watercolor October 2, 2017
- Lillian Ross, reporter and precursor of the 1960s New Journalism movement September 28, 2017
- Best book of the summer? Readers respond September 21, 2017
Welcome to JPROF
Since 2004 JPROF.com has been providing journalism instructors and students with material and ideas for teaching and learning journalism. Jim Stovall is the site's creator and operator.
JPROF.com is now the site for First Inning Press and First Inning Artworks.
This site has more than 500 pages and posts. Use the search above and the categories and tags below to find what you need.
The site for the textbook, Writing for the Mass Media, is now part of this JPROF.com site.
Get a FREE copy of Kill the Quarterback
Get a free digital copy of Jim Stovall's mystery novel, Kill the Quarterback. You will also get Jim's newsletter and advanced notice of publications, free downloads and a variety of information about what he is working on. Jim likes to stay in touch, so sign up today.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your address.