Women’s History Month: The 1913 Washington Suffrage Parade was led by Jane Burleson, the grand marshall of the parade. Burleson was a well-known horsewoman in Washington, and her confidence in the saddle is evident from this picture. Burleson led more than 5,000 parade participants up Pennsylvania Avenue and into a melee that changed the direction […]
The iPad edition of the book is nearly complete, and plans now are to have it available on the iBookstore by the first week in November. Because it is electronic and multimedia, the iPad edition will offer much more (and at a significantly lower price) than the print edition.
The photo, one of three taken at about the same moment, shows Jane Burleson, the grand marshal of the Washington suffrage parade, standing with five other marshals sometime before the parade began at 3 p.m. on March 3, 1913. Burleson is standing third from the right along with parade marshals (left to right according to […]
One of the stories that should be told — and probably will be if this documentary is any good — is that of Alice Paul and Lucy Burns, who in one afternoon, changed the tenor and trajectory of the women’s suffrage debate that eventually led to the 19th Amendment that allowed women to vote.
Was he for women having the vote or against it? That simple question left people of his time scratching their heads and has confounded those who have studied the debate in the hundred years since it occurred.
The spectacle of such a parade at such a time would vault the issue of women’s suffrage onto the national political as nothing else could. Maybe it would even spur the new president and Congress to take up the issue and add an amendment to the U.S. Constitution granting women the right to vote.
Now FREE on Amazon
The first of five volumes in the Civil War Combat Artist series, Battlelines: The Road to Gettysburg is now available on Amazon as a free download.
And now you can download the second volume, Battlelines: Gettysburg, Day 1, free at BookFunnel.
Point Spread on Amazon
Kill the Quarterback on Amazon
Recently on JPROF.com
- Best book of the summer? Readers respond September 21, 2017
- Readers respond with their best reads of the summer; A superb collection of mystery/thrillers for 99 cents September 18, 2017
- Margaret Fuller packed more than a lifetime into her 40 short years September 12, 2017
- Best book of the summer? and a chance to win a Kindle Fire September 11, 2017
- September 8 is International Literacy Day September 10, 2017
- J. K. Rowling on freedom of expression September 7, 2017
- Forwarding contest winners for August; more free books and giveaways September 4, 2017
- Photos of Hurricane Harvey’s devastation from FEMA’s photojournalists September 3, 2017
- August was a good month for reviews of Kill the Quarterback September 2, 2017
- September sale begins now; Max and Woody are back August 28, 2017
- Bat Masterson, gunslinger first but then first-class sports writer August 27, 2017
- A riveting one-hour read (free); Max and Woody are back August 21, 2017
- Smithsonian Institution’s name and unusual founding August 17, 2017
- Treatment for eclipse fever; a free cozy; and don’t forget to forward this email August 14, 2017
- The Newspaperman: A poem from the 1880s August 8, 2017
Welcome to JPROF
Since 2004 JPROF.com has been providing journalism instructors and students with material and ideas for teaching and learning journalism. Jim Stovall is the site's creator and operator.
JPROF.com is now the site for First Inning Press and First Inning Artworks.
This site has more than 500 pages and posts. Use the search above and the categories and tags below to find what you need.
The site for the textbook, Writing for the Mass Media, is now part of this JPROF.com site.
Get a FREE copy of Kill the Quarterback
Get a free digital copy of Jim Stovall's mystery novel, Kill the Quarterback. You will also get Jim's newsletter and advanced notice of publications, free downloads and a variety of information about what he is working on. Jim likes to stay in touch, so sign up today.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your address.