Ori Eisen, founder, chairman and chief innovation officer of online security firm 41st Parameter, makes the case for taking voting online in this Gigaon blog post, It’s Time to Take the Election Online.
This idea of denying people who have been convicted of crimes the right to vote has been debated for a couple of centuries now. It is viewed by many as retribution for an act against society. Should it be forever?
The case of the Kansas territory demonstrates that Americans think of voting as a central act of democracy. They like to have confidence in the results of voting, no matter what those results are. When that confidence is shaken, there are consequences.
Voters at that time did not vote directly for candidates for the U.S. Senate. The race was over who would be elected to the state legislature, which had the power to name the senators from the state. Lincoln lost the election to Douglas not because there was a sudden flood of illegal Irish voters into […]
The underlying tone of one is that expanding the electorate will help President Barack Obama get re-elected. The underlying tone of the other is that putting more legal controls on who votes and when will aid the Republicans and Mitt Romney.
Kill the Quarterback on Amazon
Recently on JPROF.com
- Digital Reader blogger tries to get at the real facts about ebook sales May 25, 2017
- Revelations by scholastic journalists come by just ‘looking it up’ May 15, 2017
- E.B. White on a writer’s responsibility May 10, 2017
- Literary journalism, explained May 9, 2017
- A journalist writing a novel May 6, 2017
- 50 years ago, Harrison Salisbury did not win the Pulitzer Prize April 11, 2017
- The First Amendment today | JPROF.com April 11, 2017
- Rules for using commas April 11, 2017
- At the corner of Banjo and Watercolor November 19, 2016
- Watercolors for the beekeepers November 10, 2016
- Second cedar chest of the season October 10, 2016
- Battlelines: Gettysburg: Day 1, July 1, 1863 July 1, 2016
- Civil War Trust provides excellent video introduction to Gettysburg June 21, 2016
- Brian McKnight tells KCWRT about the life of Champ Ferguson June 16, 2016
- What did Lincoln look like? June 14, 2016
Sign-up for Jim's newsletter
Jim Stovall has a newsletter he uses to get in touch with those who like what he writes. Subscribers get advanced notice of publications, free downloads and a variety of information about what he is working on. He would love to have you on the list, so sign up today.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
Welcome to JPROF
Since 2004 JPROF.com has been providing journalism instructors and students with material and ideas for teaching and learning journalism. Jim Stovall is the site's creator and operator.
JPROF.com is now the site for First Inning Press and First Inning Artworks.
This site has more than 500 pages and posts. Use the search above and the categories and tags below to find what you need.
The site for the textbook, Writing for the Mass Media, is now part of this JPROF.com site.