This exercise includes two of the stories in exercise 7.3, page 186, of Writing for the Mass Media (7th ed). Instructors: The purpose of this exercise is to provide students with some practice in writing headlines and summaries for the web. More writing for the web exercises can be found lower on this page. Students: […]
Instructions Instructors: The purpose of this exercise is to provide students with some practice in writing headlines for the web. Headlines, in the words of Jakob Nielsen, should be “pearls of clarity.” Students: In the spaces on the right, write headlines for the stories below. You should read Headline writing for the web before starting […]
Some of the most important words a journalist will write for the web are the headline. A headline has always been very important for print media. It is vitally important for the web. Because headlines appear in lists as links rather than with the body of the story, they are the reader’s first introduction to […]
Welcome to JPROF
Since 2004 JPROF.com has been providing journalism instructors and students with material and ideas for teaching and learning journalism. Jim Stovall is the site's creator and operator.
This site has more than 500 pages and posts. Use the menus above and the categories and tags below to find what you need.
The site for the textbook, Writing for the Mass Media, is now part of this JPROF.com site.
Semi-update: Jim Stovall retired in May 2016 after teaching journalism from 38 years. All of the journalism stuff is still here, but there's more. Check under " . . . and the rest of it" in the menu above.
Another update (2/2017). Stovall is back in the classroom, teaching a section of JEM 499 Business and Future of Journalism for the spring semester 2017 at the University of Tennessee.
What’s JPROF is about?
Recently on JPROF.com
- At the corner of Banjo and Watercolor November 19, 2016
- Watercolors for the beekeepers November 10, 2016
- Second cedar chest of the season October 10, 2016
- Battlelines: Gettysburg: Day 1, July 1, 1863 July 1, 2016
- Civil War Trust provides excellent video introduction to Gettysburg June 21, 2016
- Brian McKnight tells KCWRT about the life of Champ Ferguson June 16, 2016
- What did Lincoln look like? June 14, 2016
- Swag for the Front Page Follies, 2016, part 3 June 3, 2016
- Swag for the Front Page Follies, 2016, part 2 June 2, 2016
- Swag for the Front Page Follies, 2016, part 1 May 31, 2016
- In which I answer the question, “What’s next?”, part 2: the suffrage ladies and me April 21, 2016
- Blue Angels streak across the pasture for fourth straight day April 18, 2016
- Blue Angels practice — over our pasture April 15, 2016
- In which I answer the question “What’s next?”, part 1 April 14, 2016
- Seeing Suffrage: Starting the 1913 Washington Suffrage Parade March 21, 2016
My artwork is available on FineArtAmerica.com.