This exercise includes two of the stories in exercise 7.3, page 186, of Writing for the Mass Media (7th ed). Instructors: The purpose of this exercise is to provide students with some practice in writing headlines and summaries for the web. More writing for the web exercises can be found lower on this page. Students: […]
Instructions Instructors: The purpose of this exercise is to provide students with some practice in writing headlines for the web. Headlines, in the words of Jakob Nielsen, should be “pearls of clarity.” Students: In the spaces on the right, write headlines for the stories below. You should read Headline writing for the web before starting […]
Some of the most important words a journalist will write for the web are the headline. A headline has always been very important for print media. It is vitally important for the web. Because headlines appear in lists as links rather than with the body of the story, they are the reader’s first introduction to […]
Now FREE on Amazon
The first of five volumes in the Civil War Combat Artist series, Battlelines: The Road to Gettysburg is now available on Amazon as a free download.
And now you can download the second volume, Battlelines: Gettysburg, Day 1, free at BookFunnel.
Point Spread on Amazon
Kill the Quarterback on Amazon
Recently on JPROF.com
- Reviews, they always help; Battlelines: the complete Gettysburg July 17, 2017
- The week’s best giveaways; Battlelines, 5 volumes, now available July 10, 2017
- Favorite author? Readers respond; More great FREE giveaways July 3, 2017
- Favorite mystery author? Giveaways up and running June 26, 2017
- Digital Reader blogger tries to get at the real facts about ebook sales May 25, 2017
- Revelations by scholastic journalists come by just ‘looking it up’ May 15, 2017
- E.B. White on a writer’s responsibility May 10, 2017
- Literary journalism, explained May 9, 2017
- A journalist writing a novel May 6, 2017
- 50 years ago, Harrison Salisbury did not win the Pulitzer Prize April 11, 2017
- The First Amendment today | JPROF.com April 11, 2017
- Rules for using commas April 11, 2017
- At the corner of Banjo and Watercolor November 19, 2016
- Watercolors for the beekeepers November 10, 2016
- Second cedar chest of the season October 10, 2016
Sign-up for Jim's newsletter
Jim Stovall has a newsletter he uses to get in touch with those who like what he writes. Subscribers get advanced notice of publications, free downloads and a variety of information about what he is working on. He would love to have you on the list, so sign up today.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
Welcome to JPROF
Since 2004 JPROF.com has been providing journalism instructors and students with material and ideas for teaching and learning journalism. Jim Stovall is the site's creator and operator.
JPROF.com is now the site for First Inning Press and First Inning Artworks.
This site has more than 500 pages and posts. Use the search above and the categories and tags below to find what you need.
The site for the textbook, Writing for the Mass Media, is now part of this JPROF.com site.