The nation seems to be in a state of perpetual war, and during times of crisis, individual freedoms are always in danger. Professor Dwight Teeter of the University of Tennessee discusses the state and strength of First Amendment freedoms today.
In this two-and-a-half minute video, Dr. Dwight Teeter explains some of the political maneuvering that occurred to get the an amendment guaranteeing freedom of speech into the hotly-debated Constitution in the late 1780s. The freedoms protected by the amendment — religion, speech, press, assembly and petition — were not foremost in the minds of the […]
Many of the things that happened first during the Penny Press era have become the staples of today’s journalism: the dominance of non-partisan news; the emphasis on speed; new areas of reporting, including sports reporting; an expansion of readership to include working classes. The list could go on. Much that is on that list began […]
The First Amendment is one of the most important legal and social documents in American history. Its meaning remains the center of much controversy, debate and litigation even after 200 years.
Now FREE on Amazon
The first of five volumes in the Civil War Combat Artist series, Battlelines: The Road to Gettysburg is now available on Amazon as a free download.
And now you can download the second volume, Battlelines: Gettysburg, Day 1, free at BookFunnel.
Point Spread on Amazon
Kill the Quarterback on Amazon
Recently on JPROF.com
- Smithsonian Institution’s name and unusual founding August 17, 2017
- Treatment for eclipse fever; a free cozy; and don’t forget to forward this email August 14, 2017
- The Newspaperman: A poem from the 1880s August 8, 2017
- The Writing Wright as a free download; more great giveaways with lots of FREE books August 7, 2017
- Philip Yancey on reading and building a ‘fortress of habits’ August 6, 2017
- The free stuff; win a beautiful hand-turned, wooden pen July 31, 2017
- Another passing: the NYT copy desk July 28, 2017
- Forward the newsletter email and get a chance to win a beautiful, hand-turned wooden pen July 26, 2017
- Clear thinking, clear writing – and words relevant for today July 25, 2017
- Time for book shopping – without spending any money; 5 volumes of Civil War combat art July 24, 2017
- Reviews, they always help; Battlelines: the complete Gettysburg July 17, 2017
- The week’s best giveaways; Battlelines, 5 volumes, now available July 10, 2017
- Favorite author? Readers respond; More great FREE giveaways July 3, 2017
- Favorite mystery author? Giveaways up and running June 26, 2017
- Digital Reader blogger tries to get at the real facts about ebook sales May 25, 2017
Sign-up for Jim's newsletter
Jim Stovall has a newsletter he uses to get in touch with those who like what he writes. Subscribers get advanced notice of publications, free downloads and a variety of information about what he is working on. He would love to have you on the list, so sign up today.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
Welcome to JPROF
Since 2004 JPROF.com has been providing journalism instructors and students with material and ideas for teaching and learning journalism. Jim Stovall is the site's creator and operator.
JPROF.com is now the site for First Inning Press and First Inning Artworks.
This site has more than 500 pages and posts. Use the search above and the categories and tags below to find what you need.
The site for the textbook, Writing for the Mass Media, is now part of this JPROF.com site.