Writing for the Mass Media, now in its ninth edition and in print since 1985, is now being offered by Pearson, the publisher, in a digital edition that downloads to all formats and devices. This book, which is used as a textbook for courses in about 200 colleges and universities each year, is one of […]
Writing for the Mass Media will be a new edition — its 9th — next year. The new edition will maintain the same chapter outline (with some minor adjustments) as the 8th edition, but the material in the book will be expanded and updated. This new edition will be more closely tied to the book’s […]
Infographics is the only book to provide descriptions and examples of the proper use of graphic forms to present information. It presents an in-depth and straightforward approach to explaining the use of information graphics, offering coverage of a form of communication that is as important as writing.
The Complete Editor offers a basic, straightforward approach to learning the skills that a modern editor needs and to developing the mindset to be a good editor.
Web Journalism: Practice and Promise of a New Medium explores the current practices and future possibilities of Web journalism and examines the characteristics of the Web that distinguish it from traditional media.
Journalism: Who, What, When, Where, Why and How is a comprehensive introduction to the field, covering how news is produced and delivered, how news organizations work, and how audiences react to and interact with the news media.
A textbook that goes into multiple editions can be like a child who grows up but doesn’t leave home. Textbooks can be funny things. If you write a textbook, you want it to be widely adopted so that about four years later the publisher will ask for a second edition (because, while your royalties don’t […]
Now FREE on Amazon
The first of five volumes in the Civil War Combat Artist series, Battlelines: The Road to Gettysburg is now available on Amazon as a free download.
And now you can download the second volume, Battlelines: Gettysburg, Day 1, free at BookFunnel.
Point Spread on Amazon
Kill the Quarterback on Amazon
Recently on JPROF.com
- Best book of the summer? Readers respond September 21, 2017
- Readers respond with their best reads of the summer; A superb collection of mystery/thrillers for 99 cents September 18, 2017
- Margaret Fuller packed more than a lifetime into her 40 short years September 12, 2017
- Best book of the summer? and a chance to win a Kindle Fire September 11, 2017
- September 8 is International Literacy Day September 10, 2017
- J. K. Rowling on freedom of expression September 7, 2017
- Forwarding contest winners for August; more free books and giveaways September 4, 2017
- Photos of Hurricane Harvey’s devastation from FEMA’s photojournalists September 3, 2017
- August was a good month for reviews of Kill the Quarterback September 2, 2017
- September sale begins now; Max and Woody are back August 28, 2017
- Bat Masterson, gunslinger first but then first-class sports writer August 27, 2017
- A riveting one-hour read (free); Max and Woody are back August 21, 2017
- Smithsonian Institution’s name and unusual founding August 17, 2017
- Treatment for eclipse fever; a free cozy; and don’t forget to forward this email August 14, 2017
- The Newspaperman: A poem from the 1880s August 8, 2017
Welcome to JPROF
Since 2004 JPROF.com has been providing journalism instructors and students with material and ideas for teaching and learning journalism. Jim Stovall is the site's creator and operator.
JPROF.com is now the site for First Inning Press and First Inning Artworks.
This site has more than 500 pages and posts. Use the search above and the categories and tags below to find what you need.
The site for the textbook, Writing for the Mass Media, is now part of this JPROF.com site.
Get a FREE copy of Kill the Quarterback
Get a free digital copy of Jim Stovall's mystery novel, Kill the Quarterback. You will also get Jim's newsletter and advanced notice of publications, free downloads and a variety of information about what he is working on. Jim likes to stay in touch, so sign up today.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your address.