University of Tennessee professor Dwight Teeter discusses the case of Luther Baldwin, a New Jersey man who was prosecuted under the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798. Baldwin became a symbol of Federalist intolerance during the 1800 presidential election. This video is part of the Tennessee Journalism Series and was produced and edited by Jim […]
In this two-and-a-half minute video, Dr. Dwight Teeter explains some of the political maneuvering that occurred to get the an amendment guaranteeing freedom of speech into the hotly-debated Constitution in the late 1780s. The freedoms protected by the amendment — religion, speech, press, assembly and petition — were not foremost in the minds of the […]
Drawing upon both experience and a series of recent interviews, Harmon explains the structure of the press, the place of the British Broadcasting Corporation in the minds of the British People, and the role of the Press Complaints Commission in trying to assure a fair and honest dissemination of the day’s news.
In Video Journalism: Telling Stories with Video and Words, Sam Swan, a professor at the University of Tennessee, has laid out the basic concepts that students should know about the exciting work that video journalists do.
For those of us who produce multimedia books with iBooks Author, the implications and possibilities are huge.
Hybrid authors cite good reasons for self-publishing and for sticking with traditional publishers. I am one of those — a hybrid author who has used traditional publishers and self publishing — and the reasons others cite line up with my own,
This book introduces students to the basic principles of photojournalism and to concepts such as the rule-of-thirds, cropping and editing, the value of the close-up, and the talent of seeing what other people do not see.
Journalists write for a living. They use words precisely and efficiently. They present accurate, verified information in a way that a mass audience will understand it by reading or hearing it only once.
Designed by the people who helped create and maintain the Interscholastic Online News Network (ISONN), Going Online presents brief, practical lessons in the journalism of today and tomorrow. It shows teaches and students how they can practice journalism on a daily or hourly basis, something they were unable to do before the advent of the […]
Feature Writing presents the basic concepts and techniques of feature writing for students who want to explore this vital part of journalism. It is brief and designed to be highly accessible to the beginning student.
Now FREE on Amazon
The first of five volumes in the Civil War Combat Artist series, Battlelines: The Road to Gettysburg is now available on Amazon as a free download.
And now you can download the second volume, Battlelines: Gettysburg, Day 1, free at BookFunnel.
Point Spread on Amazon
Kill the Quarterback on Amazon
Recently on JPROF.com
- Two very different books; some free expression discussion; and a new giveaway October 16, 2017
- Book of Judith sets forth the story of a strong female character of Biblical times October 12, 2017
- Free expression – What do you think? And something from the local library October 9, 2017
- This week’s Remarkable Woman: Lillian Ross; a new author and a watercolor October 2, 2017
- Lillian Ross, reporter and precursor of the 1960s New Journalism movement September 28, 2017
- Best book of the summer? Readers respond September 21, 2017
- Readers respond with their best reads of the summer; A superb collection of mystery/thrillers for 99 cents September 18, 2017
- Margaret Fuller packed more than a lifetime into her 40 short years September 12, 2017
- Best book of the summer? and a chance to win a Kindle Fire September 11, 2017
- September 8 is International Literacy Day September 10, 2017
- J. K. Rowling on freedom of expression September 7, 2017
- Forwarding contest winners for August; more free books and giveaways September 4, 2017
- Photos of Hurricane Harvey’s devastation from FEMA’s photojournalists September 3, 2017
- August was a good month for reviews of Kill the Quarterback September 2, 2017
- September sale begins now; Max and Woody are back August 28, 2017
Welcome to JPROF
Since 2004 JPROF.com has been providing journalism instructors and students with material and ideas for teaching and learning journalism. Jim Stovall is the site's creator and operator.
JPROF.com is now the site for First Inning Press and First Inning Artworks.
This site has more than 500 pages and posts. Use the search above and the categories and tags below to find what you need.
The site for the textbook, Writing for the Mass Media, is now part of this JPROF.com site.
Get a FREE copy of Kill the Quarterback
Get a free digital copy of Jim Stovall's mystery novel, Kill the Quarterback. You will also get Jim's newsletter and advanced notice of publications, free downloads and a variety of information about what he is working on. Jim likes to stay in touch, so sign up today.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your address.