A watercolor of Ayres Hall on the University of Tennessee campus was one of my contributions to the silent auction for the Front Page Follies last year, and a couple of people told me they bid on it unsuccessfully. Well, this year they get another shot. This is a watercolor of the big building at the top of […]
Here’s the story of a little girl’s letter that sparked an editorial that become eternal: Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.
Katie Couric is the latest media star to catch a glimpse of the future. That future is online.
The Union Army, under the command of William Tecumseh Sherman, decamped from a devastated and burning Atlanta on November 16, 1864 and marched across the expanse of Georgia until it reached Savannah. The purpose, according to its commander, was to bring the horrors of war into the farms, fields, parlors and living rooms of the […]
Welcome to JPROF
Since 2004 JPROF.com has been providing journalism instructors and students with material and ideas for teaching and learning journalism. Jim Stovall is the site's creator and operator.
This site has more than 500 pages and posts. Use the menus above and the categories and tags below to find what you need.
The site for the textbook, Writing for the Mass Media, is now part of this JPROF.com site.
Semi-update: Jim Stovall retired in May 2016 after teaching journalism from 38 years. All of the journalism stuff is still here, but there's more. Check under " . . . and the rest of it" in the menu above.
Another update (2/2017). Stovall is back in the classroom, teaching a section of JEM 499 Business and Future of Journalism for the spring semester 2017 at the University of Tennessee.
What’s JPROF is about?
Recently on JPROF.com
- At the corner of Banjo and Watercolor November 19, 2016
- Watercolors for the beekeepers November 10, 2016
- Second cedar chest of the season October 10, 2016
- Battlelines: Gettysburg: Day 1, July 1, 1863 July 1, 2016
- Civil War Trust provides excellent video introduction to Gettysburg June 21, 2016
- Brian McKnight tells KCWRT about the life of Champ Ferguson June 16, 2016
- What did Lincoln look like? June 14, 2016
- Swag for the Front Page Follies, 2016, part 3 June 3, 2016
- Swag for the Front Page Follies, 2016, part 2 June 2, 2016
- Swag for the Front Page Follies, 2016, part 1 May 31, 2016
- In which I answer the question, “What’s next?”, part 2: the suffrage ladies and me April 21, 2016
- Blue Angels streak across the pasture for fourth straight day April 18, 2016
- Blue Angels practice — over our pasture April 15, 2016
- In which I answer the question “What’s next?”, part 1 April 14, 2016
- Seeing Suffrage: Starting the 1913 Washington Suffrage Parade March 21, 2016
My artwork is available on FineArtAmerica.com.