Jonathan Swift wanted his writing to be “understood by the meanest.” It’s the standard we want our journalism students to shoot for.
Some professors ban laptops, tablets and smart phones from their classrooms, seeing them as distractions for their students. Instead, they should welcome them as tools for engagement.
Lecture assignment, March 25, 2010 Students in the JEM 200 course at the University of Tennessee were assigned to do a photo story of the lecture itself last week. Here’s a short video of how the class went. Below are some of the instructions students received about the assignment. Students, You will be asked to […]
Now FREE on Amazon
The first of five volumes in the Civil War Combat Artist series, Battlelines: The Road to Gettysburg is now available on Amazon as a free download.
And now you can download the second volume, Battlelines: Gettysburg, Day 1, free at BookFunnel.
Point Spread on Amazon
Kill the Quarterback on Amazon
Recently on JPROF.com
- Anne Bradstreet, Puritan wife and mother and America’s first published poet November 22, 2017
- More about true crime podcasts; Fowler’s English classic; and giveaways galore November 20, 2017
- Jeannie Rousseau, a diminutive spy and an extraordinary tale of courage November 17, 2017
- True crime podcasts; Amazon gift card giveaway ($200) November 14, 2017
- Another reader on free expression; Anger as temporary madness November 9, 2017
- More from the Devil’s Dictionary; Where do a fiction writer’s ideas come from? October 30, 2017
- Where ideas come from: One author’s journey October 25, 2017
- Writing and dying, in public view; The Devil’s Dictionary October 23, 2017
- Ulysses Grant: Writing and dying – in public view October 19, 2017
- Two very different books; some free expression discussion; and a new giveaway October 16, 2017
- Book of Judith sets forth the story of a strong female character of Biblical times October 12, 2017
- Free expression – What do you think? And something from the local library October 9, 2017
- This week’s Remarkable Woman: Lillian Ross; a new author and a watercolor October 2, 2017
- Lillian Ross, reporter and precursor of the 1960s New Journalism movement September 28, 2017
- Best book of the summer? Readers respond September 21, 2017
Welcome to JPROF
Since 2004 JPROF.com has been providing journalism instructors and students with material and ideas for teaching and learning journalism. Jim Stovall is the site's creator and operator.
JPROF.com is now the site for First Inning Press and First Inning Artworks.
This site has more than 500 pages and posts. Use the search above and the categories and tags below to find what you need.
The site for the textbook, Writing for the Mass Media, is now part of this JPROF.com site.
Get a FREE copy of Kill the Quarterback
Get a free digital copy of Jim Stovall's mystery novel, Kill the Quarterback. You will also get Jim's newsletter and advanced notice of publications, free downloads and a variety of information about what he is working on. Jim likes to stay in touch, so sign up today.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your address.