This newsletter was sent to Jim’s email list (4,020) on Friday, Oct. 13, 2017. Hi, [FIRST NAME GOES HERE] October has turned into a very busy month. A couple of organizations have asked me for watercolors for fund-raising auctions (see last week’s newsletter), and I have begun clearing some fence-rows on our farm. Then there’s the baseball […]
About Jim StovallJim Stovall, a retired journalism prof, is now a novelist, self publisher, watercolorist, gardener, woodworker and beekeeper -- among others things.
The Book of Judith presents a rollicking good tale of danger, intrigue, suspense and high-stakes consequences. Its strong female protagonist takes on a challenge that her contemporary male counterparts shrink from. It’s too bad that the elders of Protestantism decided that the Book of Judith should be excluded from the canon. Girls and boys alike […]
This newsletter was sent to Jim’s email list (3,567) on Friday, Oct. 6, 2017. I am still watching the Ken Burns/Lynn Novick series on Vietnam. It has been difficult and emotional, and I will have more to say about it later. Don’t forget the victims of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, and Maria. Too many people are suffering even though the […]
This newsletter was sent to all of those on Jim’s email (3,576) list on Friday, Sept. 29, 2017. We are coming to the end of Banned Books Week in the United States. The right to read is important and is always under threat, no matter where we live. Too many people get the idea that if […]
Was she the mother of the New Journalism movement of the 1960s — the movement that showcased the deep reporting of people like Truman Capote and Gay Talese? Many people thought so. Lillian Ross, who died Sept. 20, 2017, at the age of 99, was doing that kind of reporting and writing for the New […]
The subscribers to my newsletter were asked to let me know what their “best book of the summer” was, and here are the responses: Karen: My favorite book this summer was Chasing Someday by Lindzee Armstrong. It is a story about 4 couples and issues they faced involving fertility issues. This book is different from the books […]
Readers respond with their best reads of the summer; A superb collection of mystery/thrillers for 99 cents
This newsletter was sent to the subscribers (3,582) to Jim’s email list on Friday, Sept. 15, 2017. Hi, Don’t forget the victims of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. Many people are suffering now that the storms have passed. My favorite charity is the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR.org). Please make a contribution to yours. I am […]
What I mean by the Muse is that unimpeded clearness of the intuitive powers, which a perfectly truthful adherence to every admonition of the higher instincts would bring to a finely organized human being. It may appear as prophecy or as poesy. … and should these faculties have free play, I believe they will open new, […]
This newsletter was sent to Jim’s email list (3,393) on Friday, Sept. 8, 2017. Hi, Today is International Literacy Day. Too many people in the world today can’t read, and two-thirds of them are women, according to the United Nations. This is too important to ignore. Don’t forget the September sale — reduced prices on some […]
September 8 is International Literacy Day, designated so by the United Nations. There are still too many people in the world who cannot read, and two-thirds of them are women. This year’s theme is Literacy in a Digital World. “The man who doesn’t read good books has no advantage over the man who […]
Now FREE on Amazon
The first of five volumes in the Civil War Combat Artist series, Battlelines: The Road to Gettysburg is now available on Amazon as a free download.
And now you can download the second volume, Battlelines: Gettysburg, Day 1, free at BookFunnel.
Point Spread on Amazon
Kill the Quarterback on Amazon
Recently on JPROF.com
- Two very different books; some free expression discussion; and a new giveaway October 16, 2017
- Book of Judith sets forth the story of a strong female character of Biblical times October 12, 2017
- Free expression – What do you think? And something from the local library October 9, 2017
- This week’s Remarkable Woman: Lillian Ross; a new author and a watercolor October 2, 2017
- Lillian Ross, reporter and precursor of the 1960s New Journalism movement September 28, 2017
- Best book of the summer? Readers respond September 21, 2017
- Readers respond with their best reads of the summer; A superb collection of mystery/thrillers for 99 cents September 18, 2017
- Margaret Fuller packed more than a lifetime into her 40 short years September 12, 2017
- Best book of the summer? and a chance to win a Kindle Fire September 11, 2017
- September 8 is International Literacy Day September 10, 2017
- J. K. Rowling on freedom of expression September 7, 2017
- Forwarding contest winners for August; more free books and giveaways September 4, 2017
- Photos of Hurricane Harvey’s devastation from FEMA’s photojournalists September 3, 2017
- August was a good month for reviews of Kill the Quarterback September 2, 2017
- September sale begins now; Max and Woody are back August 28, 2017
Welcome to JPROF
Since 2004 JPROF.com has been providing journalism instructors and students with material and ideas for teaching and learning journalism. Jim Stovall is the site's creator and operator.
JPROF.com is now the site for First Inning Press and First Inning Artworks.
This site has more than 500 pages and posts. Use the search above and the categories and tags below to find what you need.
The site for the textbook, Writing for the Mass Media, is now part of this JPROF.com site.
Get a FREE copy of Kill the Quarterback
Get a free digital copy of Jim Stovall's mystery novel, Kill the Quarterback. You will also get Jim's newsletter and advanced notice of publications, free downloads and a variety of information about what he is working on. Jim likes to stay in touch, so sign up today.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your address.