The Smithsonian Institution did not start out as the “nation’s attic.” It began as the storage house for the relics and collections of a British scientist whose connection with the United States is unclear. James Smithson was born in Paris in 1765, the illegitimate son of an English duke. He obtained British citizenship but traveled […]
About Jim StovallJim Stovall, a retired journalism prof, is now a novelist, self publisher, watercolorist, gardener, woodworker and beekeeper -- among others things.
This newsletter was sent to subscribers to Jim’s email list on Friday, Aug. 11, 2017. It’s been a busy week here in East Tennessee. James Callan: Cleansed by Fire One of the independent authors I work with, James Callan, has made an offer especially for those (such as you) on my email list. He’s offering […]
In doing some research in 19th century newspapers recently, I found this clever little poem: THE NEWSPAPER MAN Little they know. or even think, Of the work there is in shedding Ink By the busy wielders of pencil and pen, Generally known as newspaper men. “Jottings,” “In General,” “Spice of Life,” “Variations,” and rumors rife, […]
Below is Jim’s email newsletter sent out on Friday, Aug. 4, 2017 The work week is coming to an end, and I hope this first weekend in August offers fun, excitement, and relaxation. Giveaways The Prolific Reader Mystery giveaway. This is a terrific giveaway with lots of books in lots of different genres. They’re all free, […]
Read. Think. Meditate/Pray. Listen. Who among us does enough of these vital activities? Who has the time? Who has the power to turn away from our Facebook feeds, tweets and texts, television ads, sidebars and come-ons — even our Distractor-in-Chief — to do the things we know would nourish us emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually? Religious […]
This newsletter was sent to everyone on Jim’s email list (1,722 recipients) on Friday, July 28, 2017. Hi there, I always like to start with the giveaways — the free stuff: Giveaways Kill the Quarterback is part of a couple of giveaways that I told you about last week, and those are continuing now. You will want to […]
The copy desk saved me — more than once. In old-times newspaper terms, the copy desk in a newspaper’s newsroom was a horseshoe shaped table around which sat a number of editors who read what reporters wrote. On the other side of the table in the “slot” was the chief copy editor who handed out […]
Forward Jim’s newsletter (and include Jim’s email in the forwarding list), and you will have a chance to win a beautiful, hand-turned pen made by the author himself. The more times your forward the newsletter, the more chances you have to win.
For a long time we have gone along with some well-tested principles of conduct: that it was better to tell the truth than falsehoods; that a half-truth was no truth at all; that duties were older than and as fundamental as rights; that, as Justice Holmes put it, the mode by which the inevitable came […]
This newsletter went out to my email list on Friday, July 21, 2017. Hi there, I hope that this week has been a good one for you. Giveaways We were a little thin on giveaways last week. Not so this week. Kill the Quarterback is part of a couple of giveaways that you will want to check […]
Now FREE on Amazon
The first of five volumes in the Civil War Combat Artist series, Battlelines: The Road to Gettysburg is now available on Amazon as a free download.
And now you can download the second volume, Battlelines: Gettysburg, Day 1, free at BookFunnel.
Point Spread on Amazon
Kill the Quarterback on Amazon
Recently on JPROF.com
- Smithsonian Institution’s name and unusual founding August 17, 2017
- Treatment for eclipse fever; a free cozy; and don’t forget to forward this email August 14, 2017
- The Newspaperman: A poem from the 1880s August 8, 2017
- The Writing Wright as a free download; more great giveaways with lots of FREE books August 7, 2017
- Philip Yancey on reading and building a ‘fortress of habits’ August 6, 2017
- The free stuff; win a beautiful hand-turned, wooden pen July 31, 2017
- Another passing: the NYT copy desk July 28, 2017
- Forward the newsletter email and get a chance to win a beautiful, hand-turned wooden pen July 26, 2017
- Clear thinking, clear writing – and words relevant for today July 25, 2017
- Time for book shopping – without spending any money; 5 volumes of Civil War combat art July 24, 2017
- Reviews, they always help; Battlelines: the complete Gettysburg July 17, 2017
- The week’s best giveaways; Battlelines, 5 volumes, now available July 10, 2017
- Favorite author? Readers respond; More great FREE giveaways July 3, 2017
- Favorite mystery author? Giveaways up and running June 26, 2017
- Digital Reader blogger tries to get at the real facts about ebook sales May 25, 2017
Sign-up for Jim's newsletter
Jim Stovall has a newsletter he uses to get in touch with those who like what he writes. Subscribers get advanced notice of publications, free downloads and a variety of information about what he is working on. He would love to have you on the list, so sign up today.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
Welcome to JPROF
Since 2004 JPROF.com has been providing journalism instructors and students with material and ideas for teaching and learning journalism. Jim Stovall is the site's creator and operator.
JPROF.com is now the site for First Inning Press and First Inning Artworks.
This site has more than 500 pages and posts. Use the search above and the categories and tags below to find what you need.
The site for the textbook, Writing for the Mass Media, is now part of this JPROF.com site.