The subscribers to my newsletter were asked to let me know what their “best book of the summer” was, and here are the responses: Karen: My favorite book this summer was Chasing Someday by Lindzee Armstrong. It is a story about 4 couples and issues they faced involving fertility issues. This book is different from the books […]
Readers respond with their best reads of the summer; A superb collection of mystery/thrillers for 99 cents
This newsletter was sent to the subscribers (3,582) to Jim’s email list on Friday, Sept. 15, 2017. Hi, Don’t forget the victims of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. Many people are suffering now that the storms have passed. My favorite charity is the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR.org). Please make a contribution to yours. I am […]
What I mean by the Muse is that unimpeded clearness of the intuitive powers, which a perfectly truthful adherence to every admonition of the higher instincts would bring to a finely organized human being. It may appear as prophecy or as poesy. … and should these faculties have free play, I believe they will open new, […]
This newsletter was sent to Jim’s email list (3,393) on Friday, Sept. 8, 2017. Hi, Today is International Literacy Day. Too many people in the world today can’t read, and two-thirds of them are women, according to the United Nations. This is too important to ignore. Don’t forget the September sale — reduced prices on some […]
September 8 is International Literacy Day, designated so by the United Nations. There are still too many people in the world who cannot read, and two-thirds of them are women. This year’s theme is Literacy in a Digital World. “The man who doesn’t read good books has no advantage over the man who […]
J.K. Rowling has a point of view: Intolerance of alternative viewpoints is spreading to places that make me, a moderate and a liberal, most uncomfortable. Only last year, we saw an online petition to ban Donald Trump from entry to the U.K. It garnered half a million signatures. Just a moment. I find almost […]
This newsletter was sent to Jim’s email list (3,422) on Sept. 1, 2017. I hope you’re looking forward to a great weekend. In the U.S., it’s Labor Day weekend, which marks the semi-official end of summer. Forwarding contest winners The August newsletter forwarding contest produced four winners, as promised. A beautiful, hand-turned wooden […]
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) sends out photographers along with its emergency responders to record disasters wherever they occur. Here are some of those photos. Please remember the victims of this disaster by donating to the relief agency of your choice. My choice is the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR.org). Members of FEMA’s […]
August brought in some very generous reviews for Kill the Quarterback. Here’s what they said: A star quarterback is dead before his senior year. A troubled struggling reporter, Mitch Sawyer, must track down the killer before he kills again. Overall, Kill the Quarterback is as nostalgic as the great classic mysteries. Very well written and […]
This newsletter was sent to Jim’s email list (3,070) on Friday, Aug. 25, 2017. East Tennessee survived the eclipse. So did the rest of the world. Glad you’re still here. September sale These titles have been marked down for a special sale that will run through at least the second week in September. Here’s a chance for […]
Now FREE on Amazon
The first of five volumes in the Civil War Combat Artist series, Battlelines: The Road to Gettysburg is now available on Amazon as a free download.
And now you can download the second volume, Battlelines: Gettysburg, Day 1, free at BookFunnel.
Point Spread on Amazon
Kill the Quarterback on Amazon
Recently on JPROF.com
- Best book of the summer? Readers respond September 21, 2017
- Readers respond with their best reads of the summer; A superb collection of mystery/thrillers for 99 cents September 18, 2017
- Margaret Fuller packed more than a lifetime into her 40 short years September 12, 2017
- Best book of the summer? and a chance to win a Kindle Fire September 11, 2017
- September 8 is International Literacy Day September 10, 2017
- J. K. Rowling on freedom of expression September 7, 2017
- Forwarding contest winners for August; more free books and giveaways September 4, 2017
- Photos of Hurricane Harvey’s devastation from FEMA’s photojournalists September 3, 2017
- August was a good month for reviews of Kill the Quarterback September 2, 2017
- September sale begins now; Max and Woody are back August 28, 2017
- Bat Masterson, gunslinger first but then first-class sports writer August 27, 2017
- A riveting one-hour read (free); Max and Woody are back August 21, 2017
- Smithsonian Institution’s name and unusual founding August 17, 2017
- Treatment for eclipse fever; a free cozy; and don’t forget to forward this email August 14, 2017
- The Newspaperman: A poem from the 1880s August 8, 2017
Welcome to JPROF
Since 2004 JPROF.com has been providing journalism instructors and students with material and ideas for teaching and learning journalism. Jim Stovall is the site's creator and operator.
JPROF.com is now the site for First Inning Press and First Inning Artworks.
This site has more than 500 pages and posts. Use the search above and the categories and tags below to find what you need.
The site for the textbook, Writing for the Mass Media, is now part of this JPROF.com site.
Get a FREE copy of Kill the Quarterback
Get a free digital copy of Jim Stovall's mystery novel, Kill the Quarterback. You will also get Jim's newsletter and advanced notice of publications, free downloads and a variety of information about what he is working on. Jim likes to stay in touch, so sign up today.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your address.